Most crime against cars, motorbikes and bicycles, including the
theft of and theft from, can be easily prevented by taking simple
crime prevention steps.
- Lock the doors and close the windows when you leaving your car
for any length of time.
- Park in a safe location where there is good surveillance of
- Don't leave anything on display - even a jacket or a bag will
be an appealing target for a thief.
- If you can, remove your stereo as never leave expensive
electronic objects such as mobile phones on display.
- Always remove your sat nav from your car and ensure any sucker
marks left on the windscreen are wiped away.
- Never store your vehicle documents in the car.
- A Thatcham-approved immobiliser or steering lock can help
secure older vehicles.
- Think about having the components and windows etched with the
car's vehicle registration number (VRN), and make a note of its
- Keep your car keys in a secure place, even in your house, so
that someone breaking in cannot steal your car too.
- Always lock your bike, and set its alarm if it has one.
- When leaving your bike for some time, try to lock it to
something secure. At home, you can fit special attachments to lock
your bike to.
- Use a motorbike cover.
- Have the vehicle marked with its vehicle identification number